Mobile phone, television, all have plastic. We cannot give up everything. So we need to eliminate the single use plastic from our lives like plastic straws, plastic cups and bottles, plastic toothbrushes, plastic bags, and as many plastic items you can think of that you throw away frequently.
Recycling is a good thing but with the increasing population and the growing demands, the waste management system is bound to fail. We have to tackle the problem from the source.
Suppose there’s a running tap with dirty water in a clear pool. Will you clean the pool or close the tap?
To end ocean plastic we need corporates to reduce the amount of single use plastic they are selling and the best way to do so is to boycott single use plastic.
But they are used in everyday lives. How to give up on them without disturbing our life?
5 steps to prevent plastic ending up in the ocean.
1. Use eco-friendly alternatives like Reusable Steel Straws, Reusable Portable Bottles, Reusable Toothbrushes, and so on.
2. Don’t buy or use cosmetics that contain microbeads! (microfibers)
Your product contains microbeads if it lists one of the followings as an ingredient: polyethylene, polypropylene, polyethylene terephthalate or polymethyl methacrylate.
3. Prefer natural over synthetic fibres when buying new (or pre-owned) cloths.
4. Don’t litter onto the street (no cigarette buds either), and do pick up if you walk past loose trash on the street.
5. Avoid items that are plastic packed. Tell your retailer not to pack them in plastic or styrofoam or bubble wrap. Do not encorage gifts wrapped in plastic as well.
Be a responsible citizen. The world economic forum predicts: by the year 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish. You decide what you want. Planet or